Irvine, CA – The City of Irvine is in the midst of its pursuit from at-large City Council elections to district elections. Currently, registered Irvine voters vote for the Mayor and all four City Councilmembers. At a special election in March 2024, Irvine residents will have the opportunity to decide whether to expand the City Council to six Councilmembers and shift to district elections. If approved, each voter would vote for the Mayor and one Councilmember to represent the district they live in.
Irvine residents have the opportunity to share their input on where the district lines should be drawn. The City is offering different mapping tools that include demographic breakdowns based on the Census data for residents to gain insights about their community and draw their own district maps for consideration. The following tools are now available on the City’s districting website:
- Paper maps with population counts that can be printed, drawn on and submitted to the City via email at districting@cityofirvineorg. Maps can also be dropped off at or mailed to 1 Civic Center Plaza.
- An online application called Dave’s Redistricting App (DRA), which enables residents to create, view, analyze and share district maps with other community members.
- An interactive review map, similar to Google maps, where residents can explore population numbers and other statistics, as well as view and analyze draft maps once they are available.
- A map of Irvine planning areas showing total populations.
Residents can access and provide detailed feedback at their convenience. Community members can submit as many maps as they would like throughout the district formation process.
All maps compliant with districting criteria will be processed by the City’s professional demographer, posted to the Draft Maps page and presented to City Council at a public hearing. The map deadline schedule for each public hearing is outlined as follows:
- June 29, 2023 – Deadline to submit maps for consideration at the third public hearing
- July 11, 2023 – Third public hearing to review draft maps submitted by June 29, 2023
- August 31, 2023 – Deadline to submit maps for consideration at the fourth public hearing
- September 12, 2023 – Fourth public hearing to review draft maps submitted by August 31, 2023
- September 29, 2023 – Final deadline to submit maps for consideration as part of the process
- October 10, 2023 – Fifth public hearing to select a map for adoption
To access mapping tools or to view more information about the district formation process, visit DrawIrvine.org.
Español | عربي | فارسی | 日本 | 한국인 | 简体中文 | 繁體中文 | Tiếng Việt